Community cats can thrive outside even winter weather—but you can help. Use these tips about food, water, and shelter during the snowy season.
Source: Winter Weather Tips
Food and Water
- Cats need extra food during winter and fresh water twice a day. Wet food freezes, so put out dry food as well (or just feed dry food).
- Warm up canned food and water before serving, or use a heated bowl. Check out some bowls tested by caregivers.
- Spray insulation foam into the underside of plastic feeding dishes to keep wet food from freezing.
- Use bowls that are deep rather than wide and place them in sunny areas to keep water from freezing.
- Build a feeding stationthat will shield food, water, and the cats from the elements.
- Put a microwavable heating pad disk, like a Snuggle Safe, under the bowls.
- If there’s a water source like a spigot, run the water slightly—it won’t freeze as fast as still water.